Silvio Velo was born on May 29, 1971 in San Pedro, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. He belongs to a humble family and he is blind from birth. When he was a chid his major dream was to play football. In fact he played with his friends. But after some years of trainning he became famous.
He is the Captain of The Bats, the Argentina Football Blind Team, since 1991. He is considered the most talented blind player in the world. The international press often refers to him as Maradona or Messi for the Blind.
His goals and his skill with the ball have made him the great leader of this team. His personality and charisma helped him to face the barriers of sport and install the integration on the political agenda and media.
Nowadays, he is considered the most important leader of equality between all men and women, regardless of the physical capacity, race, religion or color, among other differences.
Mentions and Awards:
• Scorer National Championships and National Team from 1997 to date.
• Mention Awards 2002 Olympia.
• Jorge Newbery Awards 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2011.
• Featured Athletes Revelation Clarín Awards 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011.
• Paralympic Games in 2004 and 2008.• Character Bicentennial of the City Government of Buenos Aires, 2010.
• Character Bicentennial Office of the President, 2010.
• Konex, 2011.
Submitted by Anonymous
We've all had people in our lives who have made a positive impact on us. A parent or grandparent, a sibling who was there for us, or maybe even just a guy who shines shoes for a living? Whoever they are, tell us their story so they can inspire us even more.Tell Us Your Story All Everyday Hero Stories